Wednesday, June 15, 2011

what running has done for me.

so there are lots of reasons to start running, but what is the motivation to keep doing it? besides the fact that I am training for this race, lets be honest in saying i want to see some results. I'm putting the work in, so my jeans should fit better and the scale should not be going up. Right? I wish! I am unhappy to report that I am holding steady with those two extra pounds. This is an additional two that I have acquired since running.  That is four to five since January! One pound is around my waist and another pound just got added to the back of my tooshie! When you already have a large rear end, another pound back there is not needed. I woke up this morning feeling skinny, so I weighed myself, and those two pounds were staring at me, mocking me. The scale was saying "haha you lose, or sike, you gained!" I spent a long time on the computer at work today, oh wait, you didn't hear that, (back off, the kids were watching Shrek), but I googled this phenomenon. (gaining weight during race training) Apparently this happens more than not. There are a couple of psychological reasons, but a couple of physiological reasons, too. Gaining 4 % of my body weight in 6 months is not a good rate.  If I continue on like this, in 2 years, I will have gained almost 20 pounds. Clothes aint cheap people! I would normally obsess over this by changing my diet and exercising more, but the fact that my sweet son has had an explosive grumpy tummy for over two weeks takes precedence over my measly two to four pound weight gain. And not to mention all of the time it takes to clean the bathroom floor, AGAIN! On a good note, I only had 1/2 of a small candy bar today, and I didn't finish all of my chocolate brownie at work. There was some frosting left on the fork that I could have easily licked off!

4 comments:

  1. +2 pounds!!!??? Are you freaking kidding me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been edited so you understand that its not the poundage, but the percent of body weight, and that it has been in such a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat and you have really built some muscles in almost 6 weeks! I have noticed too that I am the same weight, but I have definitely lost inches around the waist... Keep on truckin', Corina! I think you're great. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gained around my waist. It really doesn't have all that much to do with muscle vs. Fat. Read the article I suggested, and you will see thatb true weight gain happens more times than not to people training for races.

    ReplyDelete