Monday, October 14, 2013

Ragnar part deux

Well Bloggy Friends, its me again! (You are thinking, how can this be? You blogged last month? I'm in my A game, I guess.) The other weekend I completed my second Ragnar. It was an event for sure.

Here are some highlights
10- Bill. We didn't know this guy or anything about him, except he worked with another runner in our van. He wasn't really a distance kinda guy, but he was upright, breathing, and willing. And he had jokes. Really dry, sarcastic, hilarious guy!

9- Going to the wrong exchange in the wee hours of the morning. Ragnar has this dumb way of putting the ending point first. Luckily we made it in time the bracelet slap hand-off to our next runner.

8- That dumb slap bracelet, its nasty sweaty, but its way better than a baton!

7- Peanut butter and jelly and tuna fish salad creations. Yep, that was my meal for lunch one day. What a combination.

6- heat index of 99! Not an exaggeration. It was brutally hot for most everyone Van 2's first run. I came in a little above pace on this 6 miler, but I felt like my lungs couldn't keep up with my legs.

5- Govey shutdown forced everyone to double up on their last leg. Since National parks were closed, any runs through any parks were closed off. What that did for me was take 4.4 miles away from my run, and 5 miles away from Bill's run. I didn't like the idea at first, but when it came time for it, I was very grateful!

4- Seeing Keith put a hammock between 2 trees. His butt was an inch from the ground. One wind gush and he would have fallen straight through.

3- Being able to do this with family and friends. My husband, my sister-in-law, and one of my dear friends were in the van with me. I was really proud of my husband. He is a strong runner and did great!

2- B.O. and butt. At three in the morning, things are really funny. Cheetos, Funyuns, sweaty people, dirty socks and shoes, food trash, outside smell on sleeping bags, all mixed with a hint of Doterra oils makes for an interesting smell. A smell that was affectionately described as B.O. and butt!

1- Running through the finish. Of course we couldn't do this alone, we had a whole other van of awesome women- Molly, Crystal, Michelle, Melanni, Kami, and Jenni. At the end of Mary and Keith's run, we all ran in with a silly hat. It was great! And everyone should have the opportunity to see Chris Jones with a big black afro.

This Ragnar was fun, HARD and tiring, and memorable. Next up: Ragnar Key West!



No comments:

Post a Comment